Cosmetology Instructor III – Lead
Detroit & Redford, MI
The Cosmetology Instructor III – Lead will instruct students as well as manage and monitor the operations of the school by effectively ensuring that P & A Scholars Beauty School achieves its educational goals, objectives, and purpose, while performing in a manner consistent with the institutional mission, vision and values.
- Instructs students using the P & A curriculum, rules and regulations, involving the facilities, class room and clinic floor.
- Ensure students are dressed in accordance with the school policy by being in proper uniform, wearing their nametags, and with hair well groomed and adhering to good hygiene standards.
- Come to school prepared and ready to instruct fifteen minutes prior to class start time.
- Be familiar with The State Laws and Rules and standard textbooks.
- Prepares lesson plans in advance.
- Maintain academic records for student population. Take attendance, grade and post exams and verify academic data entry for the student body.
- Teach practical skills and present motivational topics to students.
- Monitors Satisfactory Academic Progress and conducts Monthly Student Advising for the student body.
- Prepare students for the state board exam (maintains 80% licensure rate).
- Retention and Attendance of a minimum of 85% for all students.
- Conducts monthly Final Practical and Theory Examination for graduating seniors.
- Coordinating with Career Services for scheduling of licensure exam.
- Monitor and manage the completion and accuracy of the Monthly Practical Applications and the Record of Practical and Theory reports on daily basis – paper and electronic.
- Monitor and manage the completion of Monthly Closeouts of Drops and Graduates.
- Trains instructional staff and trainees on data entry into the Freedom Software system.
- Supervises staff and makes sure all policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Ensures that instructors are trained on teaching techniques, State Board updates and skills needed to fulfill curriculum requirements.
- Evaluates instructional staff using monthly student surveys and other methods required.
- Attend all staff meetings, graduations and school sponsored functions as required.
- Monitors Satisfactory Academic Progress in accordance with the institutional policy. Providing continuous evaluation on an ongoing basis to students.
- Conduct Self-Audits of academic files.
- Ensure guest satisfaction by effectively managing the clinic floor and classrooms.
- Counsel and guide students and assist in issue resolution.
- Ensure safe and sanitary practices are followed for students and instructors.
- Coordinate and plan for increasing clinic service promotions and themes.
- Completes 12 Continuing Education Unit hours per year.
- Trains and assists student/receptionist in front desk operations and client experience.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory control and assists Operations Manager with monthly and yearly Inventory Reconciliation.
- Answer and respond to voicemail and email daily and timely.
- Be pleasant and well groomed at all times.
- Other duties as assigned
- Commencement Coordinator – Collaborate with Operations Manager, Career Services Rep and Event Coordinator on the full execution of a formal graduation.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to performing a variety of duties associated with the recording and monitoring of clock hour attendance.
- Input attendance and monitor accuracy with time clock punches
- Download time clock and distribute lists to instructors
- Rectify discrepancies of attendance with students and instructors
- Meet with Instructors to make any necessary corrections
- Produce Monthly Hour Report and Revision Reports for the State of Michigan
- Post Monthly Hour Reports in Student Area by the 5th of the month.
Travel: Some scheduled travel may be necessary to work at other campuses and/or for training conferences and conventions as necessary.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Current Full Cosmetology Instructors License.
- 2 years Cosmetology Salon experience required.
- 5 years management experience.
- Strong Theory and Clinic Teaching ability in Cosmetology and Manicuring.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Able to work hours that support day, evening, and weekend school operations.
- Must have transportation for travel between locations.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Excellent organizational skills; proficient in MS Office products and ability to learn other software programs; detail orientated, accurate with ability to prioritize information in a timely manner; strong communication skills; written, oral, active listening and interpersonal skills; work effectively in team situations, ability to work on several tasks at a time; ability to respond effectively in a variety of situations.
If this is a supervisory position, the incumbent is expected to complete required supervisory training; orient, train and develop subordinates; provide appropriate coaching, guidance and supervision to subordinates; and complete annual performance evaluations.
Specific job requirements or physical location of some positions allocated to this classification may render the position security sensitive; thereby subject to the provisions of FERPA.
Responsible for duties as assigned relating to internal controls including safe-guarding of department assets, reliability of department information, and compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior written approval of the Operations Manager.